I’ve recently had a few requests for a basic french manicure style tutorial. I thought it would be a good idea to do a detailed one because all other nail tutorials I do will use basic steps like the ones in this DIY. I used to go to the salon to get gel white tips like these all the time. I loved it but it became too costly to maintain and also finding a good technician is difficult. So I started experimenting at home and doing them on my own. These ones usually turn out so well that I feel like I’ve been to the salon after all! The best thing about this is that I can change them as often as I want to and don’t have to worry about waiting 2-3 weeks to go back to the salon for a fill. I use these basic steps for ANY color tips that I want! I added a tiny line of sparkle because it gives a nice and simple finishing touch! Experiment and have fun! After all, that’s the beauty of doing them yourself!
1. Things you’ll need: White nail polish, reinforcement stickers (the kind you use for the holes in loose leaf paper), a paint brush (an angled one if you can), 100% Acetone (to clean up the french tip line and along the sides of the finger, I found some at London Drugs) and a paper towel to wipe off the paintbrush. You’ll also need a top coat. * In this tutorial I added a little line of sparkly silver to finish it up. I used Kiss Nail Art Paint I found at London Drugs. It’s a small skinny bottle with a very fine tip paint brush inside used for making all kinds of designs on the nail.
2. Using the reinforcement stickers, place one on each finger just under the white line of the nail. I usually go a bit lower than that as well because I like the look of thicker tips. You can place the sticker as you like depending on how thick you want the tips to be and how long your natural nails are. These stickers are a perfect guide for doing tips because they curve slightly with your nail so it looks more natural as opposed to a straight across line that a piece of tape would do. *You’ll probably need to use 2 stickers on the thumb which are placed one at a time on each side of the thumb nail and overlap in the middle.
3. Paint the tips with one coat of white nail polish, like in picture #3. Let them dry and do a second coat.
4. Then take off the stickers. You don’t have to wait until the polish is dry and don’t worry if it looks messy along the sides and where the sticker was because we will clean that up next.
5. Take the 100% Acetone, pour a cap full and place the cap on the paper towel. Get your paint brush and dip it in the Acetone. Dab it on the paper towel slightly to get rid of the excess. Run the paint brush just under the line of polish, where the sticker was to clean up the edges of the line. Clean off any white nail polish that may have gotten on the edges of your finger as well. The Acetone dries out quickly so you can use as much as you need to. Make sure you wipe off the excess on the paper towel before and after cleaning up each nail.
6. Now, if you just want plain white tips, then stop here and put a top coat on the entire nail, let it dry fully and you’re done! IF you want to add a touch of sparkle to the tips then get the silver nail art paint! You can add a thick or thin line as you’d like to the bottom line of the white polish. Make sure to brush off the excess because it will be easier to control the line as you paint it on. The nice thing about the sparkle is that it doesn’t have to be a perfect line. You can paint the line half on the white so that it overlaps. Let it dry fully and put a top coat over top of the entire nail. You’re done!